Aaron Baker

Jul 27, 2020

10 min read

Part [1/12] In-Depth Review of CXL’s Digital Psycology and Persuasion Minidegree Program

Photo by Morgan Housel on Unsplash

Have you ever wanted to understand how to change customer behaviour online?

Well in order to change behaviour you first have to understand why we do the things we do.

What did I learn this week?

What is Digital Psycology?

How much is that Attention In the window?

I chose this photo since I didn’t think anyone would get the reference
Canadian Rudeness

Here’s the one big idea from the unit on attention 🛑.

  1. The Visual design: British Researches conducted a study, discovering that the feedback from 94% of the test participants was in regards to the visual design leaving the other 6% to be attributed to the actual content.
  2. Your Value Proposition: As stated above, we aren’t actually reading much on your website. So if you can’t tell me exactly what you do and why I should care in a sentence or two, then you better hope you have a high ad retargeting budget. Otherwise, I’m gone forever. Here’s a resource to learn more about the good UVP’s.
  3. Compelling Imagery and Graphics: Look at these two homepages below. Which are you more likely to purchase from? Why?
Credit: CXL Institute
  • Use simple, common language
  • Avoid cheesy stock photos
  • Use photos of realistic-looking people
Not Cheesy Stock Photo

You could get with this (decision) or you can get with that (decision)

Who’s the black sheep, what’s the black sheep?
Credit: OnlineDialogue.com
  1. Pain: Simply put, we no like pain. So if you help customers see that your offer will take away their pain. Then it should be a no-brainer.
  2. Fear: System 1 is selfish and is only concerned with its own survival. If you threaten it by taking something away, (also known as scarcity) you can trigger it to act.
  3. Emotion: System 1 operates on emotion instead of rationality. So try to get people to think about one of the 3 F’s (Food, Fight & Flight, Fornication). Here is a company that does this really well.
  4. Ego: Again, System 1 is self-centred. “How does this affect me?” Using ad copy and images to hypothetically insert your audience into different situations can help them better connect to your message.
  5. Contrast: When we’re presented with clear contrast it allows system 1 to skip the rationalization stage, which makes decisions very easy for us. This is why Before and Afters work so well. Infomercials are the champions of contrast.
Wet then dry. Pow! Contrast illustrated.

How to Persuade Us: Sell Me This Pen…

Thought you were gonna get a Wolf of Wall street gif eh?
  1. Pleasure / Pain: These are primitive responses related to self-preservation. Think System 1. Often this is the first thing to think of when trying to increase levels of motivation.
  2. Hope / Fear: This motivator relies on your anticipation of an outcome, whether that be good or bad.
  3. Social Acceptance / Rejection: People are motivated to things that win them social acceptance and status.
  • Hot Triggers are actions that you can take right now
  • Cold Triggers are actions that cannot be acted on right now (think billboards you see while driving)

Conclusion: Thoughts on The first 3 Courses